Eight teenage girls police say they met on social media have been charged with manslaughter after stabbing a 59-year-old man in Toronto.
Police said doctors took the man to a hospital, where he died.
According to the police, the eight girls were arrested near the place where the attack took place.
Three of the girls are 13, three 14 and two are 16. Toronto Police Homicide Detective Sergeant Terry Browne said they believed the girls were trying to take a bottle of alcohol from the man. “I’ve been in the service almost 35 years and you think you’ve seen it all,” said Sergeant Browne.
“Anyone who isn’t shocked to hear such a thing has clearly thrown in the towel and just said that anything is possible in this world. “Eight young girls and most under 16.
In all honesty, if this doesn’t frighten and startle everyone, we’re all in danger.” The same females fought in the area the previous evening, according to Sergeant Browne. He declined to offer any further information on the subject. “They connected on social media. They come from various neighbourhoods in the city “She spoke.
“We don’t know how or why they connected that evening, or why they chose to travel to downtown Toronto. How long they’ve been friends is unknown.
“At this point, I wouldn’t characterise them as a gang.” Police believe that all teenagers are culpable. According to Sergeant Browne, they participated in a “swarming.” He will not confirm or deny if they recorded their claimed assault. Police will look into whether there had been any internet attacks comparable to this, he added.
“It was maybe eight young women who wanted to make a name for themselves and see if they could become socially famous,” he said.
Police believe they all acted together.
“They are all equally guilty,” he said. “We have no doubt they were all working as one entity in a swarming mob mentality when they decided to attack this man.”
Police officers carrying weapons and equipment cross a street at night.
Several weapons were seized, according to Sergeant Browne, who would not specify which ones. Three of the suspected females, he added, had previously met with the police.
“The fact that they all travelled to downtown Toronto at the same time is peculiar. Their main dwellings are dispersed throughout, “said he. Because the girls are minors, it is against the law for the Canadian government to reveal their identities.
They made their first court appearance and are still being held. The next hearing is scheduled on December 29.
Sergeant Browne said the victim started living in the Toronto shelter system in September.
He said officers were unable to reach some of his family members and would not release his name until they did.