An explosion near a girls’ high school killed at least 25 fatalities and injured 52 others, most of them students, the Afghan government said.
Details of the attack in front of the Sayed Ul-Shuhada school have not yet been released. So far, no group has claimed responsibility for the attack and, according to the New York Times, it is not yet known whether it was coordinated explosions, a suicide bombing, or an attack. car bomb.
The number of victims is expected to rise as the streets of Kabul were crowded on Saturday (8) as residents prepare for the end of the Islamic holy month, Ramadan.
According to Interior Ministry spokesman Tariq Arian, students are the majority of the victims. He did not specify the cause or the target of the explosion.
Health ministry spokesman Ghulam Dastagir Nazari said 46 injured were taken to hospitals in the area.
Kabul has been on high alert since the United States announced its intention to withdraw all American troops from Afghanistan until September 11.
The explosion comes at a time when human rights groups have expressed concern that leaving the United States could endanger Afghan women if the fundamentalist Taliban group succeeds in increasing its influence in the United States. country.
In the 1990s, under the group’s control, women were not allowed to go to school or work and could be beaten for leaving home, among other oppressive rules.
Afghan officials say the Taliban have increased the number of terrorist attacks across the country. The week has been violent in the country, with offensives in the north and south since the start of the withdrawal of NATO troops (Western military alliance).
Last week, a car bomb exploded in Logar, a province south of Kabul, killing more than 20 people.
It took place in the western part of Kabul, a predominantly Shiite area that has been frequently attacked by militants of the Islamic State, a radical Sunni group.
With the New York Times