Bill Campbell Passes Away at 74, What was Bill Campbell Cause Of Death?

Bill Campbell, a former bullpen pitcher for the Boston Red Sox who was among the first Major League players to utilise free agency, passed away on Friday. In hospice care, Campbell, 74, who had been diagnosed with cancer, passed away.

Campbell had a 15-year career in the major leagues, including his most memorable years with the Red Sox from 1977 through 1981. He also played for seven different organisations. Besides the Montreal Expos, he played for the St. Louis Cardinals, Detroit Tigers, Minnesota Twins, Chicago Cubs, Philadelphia Phillies, and Chicago Cubs.

How did Bill Campbell die?

Bill “Soup” Campbell passed away on Friday at around noon. He was a well-known reliever in the 1970s, and a significant part of the Cubs’ early 1980s rebuild.

Gene Hiser, a former Cubs outfielder, Peter Gammons, and several others conveyed the heartbreaking news on social media on behalf of their close friends.

Bill Campbell cause of death

Cancer was the cause of death for Bill Campbell.

He had been getting hospice care in the Chicago region. Campbell lost away from cancer on January 6, 2023.

We seek to get in touch with Bill Campbell’s friends and family to learn more about the cause of death. We’ll update this area as soon as we find out any additional details about the unfortunate incident that caused many people to cry.

Bill Campbell
Image Source: The New York Times

Who was Bill Campbell?

Bill Campbell was a Major League Baseball (MLB) pitcher who competed for the United States from 1973 to 1987.

Campbell was born in Highland Park, Michigan, but grew up in Pomona, California. After completing his education at Pomona’s Ganesha High School, he enrolled at Mt. San Antonio College.

Campbell joined the US Army in 1968 after being recalled to duty. After serving as a radio operator in Vietnam during the Vietnam War, he was released in 1970.

Bill Campbell Career

Campbell began his career with the Class A minor league Wisconsin Rapids after being signed by the Twins as an amateur free-agency pitcher in 1971. He was given the moniker “Soup” in honour of the Campbell Soup Company.

He relocated to Minnesota’s AA-level Charlotte affiliate in 1972. He began the 1973 season with AAA Tacoma, finishing the season with ten wins and five losses before getting called to the major leagues in July.

Jim Kaat was replaced by Campbell on July 14, 1973, for his Twins debut. He allowed one hit and two strikeouts during an inning of scoreless pitching for the Cleveland Indians. In 28 games, primarily as a relief, he pitched. In 1973, he had a record of 3 wins, three losses, and an earned run average of 3.18. In 63 games of relief throwing in 1974, Campbell compiled an 8-7 record, 19 saves, and a 2.62 ERA.

In 1975, he spent some time starting and pitching in relief due to an arm injury he sustained during spring training. He had a record of 4 wins, six losses, five saves, and an earned run average of 3.79.

Campbell was chosen to close for Gene Mauch in 1976.

At Boston Red Sox

Following the 1976 season, Campbell signed a four-year contract with the Boston Red Sox as a free agent. His ERA at the end of the campaign was 2.96, with 13 victories, nine defeats, and 31 saves. He received the Rolaids Relief Man of the Year Award, The Sporting News’ AL Fireman of the Year accolades, and was selected for the AL All-Star squad.

The American league’s first two-time Rolaids Award winner was Campbell. When Campbell’s arm began to bother him in 1978, he was no longer the dominant closer he had been in 1976 and 1977.

The Cubs dealt Mike Diaz, Profi Altamirano, and Bob Dernier to the Philadelphia Phillies on March 26, 1984, in exchange for Campbell.

On April 6, 1985, the Phillies dealt Iván DeJesus and Campbell to the St. Louis Cardinals in exchange for Dave Rucker.

He was released by the Cardinals after 1985 and signed with the Detroit Tigers for the 1986 campaign. He agreed to play for the Montreal Expos in 1987, but on May 1, he was released.

After Baseball

After leaving the major leagues, Campbell played in the Senior Professional Baseball Association for two seasons. According to published sources from 1987, Campbell lost more than $800,000 in a fraud run by sports agent LaRue Harcourt.

He kept playing baseball, and in 1999, he was a coach for the Milwaukee Brewers. After retiring, he resided near Chicago, Illinois. In addition to coaching for the Red Sox organisation, he coached a volunteer baseball league.

Read Also: How did Earl Boen die? Terminator actor dies aged 81

, , , , , , ,